Contractors recommend homeowners schedule maintenance work for both their AC and furnace units at least once a year, and every six months for heat pumps that are used year-round. You can make your HVAC service appointment run smoother by getting your units ready for inspection ahead of time.
The air conditioning maintenance experts at Dependable Heating & Air Conditioning have compiled a checklist below to help you get started.
For Outdoor Units
- Sweep away leaves, dirt, and any other debris that’s settled around or on top of the cabinet.
- See if the coil and cabinet have any leaks or holes.
- Check if the base pan has any blocked drain openings.
- Inspect the fan blades for any signs of wear and tear. Make sure to inspect them both while they’re stationary and while they’re moving.
For Indoor Units
- Replace the air filters.
- Inspect the ductwork to see if there are any leaks.
- Turn on your HVAC unit and keep an ear and nose out for any unusual noises or odors.
- Check that all the wiring in the control box is still connected.
When to Call an HVAC Contractor
Contact your contractor right away if you notice any of the following signs:
- Different temperatures throughout your various rooms.
- A higher monthly energy bill despite using the furnace or AC less.
- Bent or damaged parts of your HVAC unit.
- A soggy HVAC unit.
- An electrical burning smell—in which case, turn the unit off immediately.
Units exhibiting any of the aforementioned signs will most likely need air conditioner repair.
Why Hire Factory-Certified Contractors?
Don’t forget to do your research before hiring a contractor. If you don’t have a lot of time to vet a technician, look for factory-authorized dealers, who’ve received specific training to maintain and repair HVAC units made by a particular manufacturer.
Looking for Factory-Authorized Dealers in Your Area?
Dependable Heating & Air Conditioning, a Carrier® factory-authorized dealer with more than 50 years’ worth of experience, offers professional HVAC services and new air conditioner units.